[Gluster-users] unequal components to type cluster/distribute

William L. Sebok wls at astro.umd.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:05:31 UTC 2014

There has been discussion in the past about improvement in the way glusterfs
handles unequal components in a distribute, for instance unequal size brick
pairs in a distribute/replicate cluster.  Has this happened and I missed it?
I don't see this listed as a feature in any of the new glusterfs releases
nor in the the proposes improvements in glusterfs 3.6.  Perhaps it occured
under some other name?   When one wants to add space to an old cluster or
replace dead disks the sweet spot in the size of disks usually will have
increased from the size used when the cluster was first built.  I can see that
one would want to have the bricks making up a replicate to be the same size but
for distribute components it is inefficient to have to divide a big new disk
into a numerous small bricks.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: wls at astro.umd.edu	URL: http://furo.astro.umd.edu/