[Gluster-users] Gluster

Joseph Hardeman jwhardeman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 00:02:45 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

I have a single server, currently, with about 10TB of usable space after
setting up a raid50.  I am looking down the road and want to give myself
room for expanding just by putting in another system and joining the them
together. Thinking about redundancy, failover, and expansion down the road
while hopefully using equipment on hand with possibly only changing disks
if needed.

So I was wondering, could I setup a single server running Glusterfs and
then when I get ready to add another server, then setup the second brick?
 I am only looking to access via NFS and possibly ISCSI from either VM's or
pulling the VM's disk files for either VMWare or Xen.

I guess the real question is, can this be useful to so and the second
question is, does each system in a pair have to have identical space
resources allocated?  Kinda silly question, but I thought I would ask
anyway.

Or would it be better to wait until the need arises, then setup 2 servers
with identical specs and gluster?

Any thoughts on this or another option to allow me to grow my storage,
really using any system with large storage on each server?

Thanks

Joe