[Gluster-users] Newbie Advice

Bernhard Glomm bernhard.glomm at ecologic.eu
Fri Feb 28 10:37:20 UTC 2014

hi sward... bit of a newbie answer to clear up your question:NOW you have ONE NFS-server that hosts all you data on lets say srv://srv/exportand n-clients mounting this data to client-n://srv/mymount, right.
You want to have 2 server (replica 2) and your n-client canmount the glustervolume that those both server serve to anypoint you want,so easily also to client-n://srv/mymountalthough I never tried this yet, but gluster comes with an nfs server,so the clients wouldn't even have to have gluster installed to fuse mount,but could keep going on using their nfs-mounts (just changing the sourceaddress, and I don't know about failover scenarios in that case)
MAKE SURE that the both server have a sufficient interlink,here I "easily" get a 3x1GB NIC bonded connection saturated (ain't got more to bond ;-(I suspect slow or buggy network connections to be responsible for the most issueson filesystems that span over several hosts.
Another hint? have a THOROUGH look at your NIC chips!Some time ago I ordered to small dev machines to test another failover/redundancy scenario.The reseller of my confidence pointed out to take another extra NIC,since the onboard chip might show probs with the linux module.Well it turned out the onboard chip was the same brand, same speed than the extra oneand worked perfectly fine... for most of the tasksEXCEPT drbd which just didn't worked on that NIC...same setup/config on the extra NIC and no problem at all...
halof
Bernhard

--

            Bernhard Glomm

            IT Administration

                  Phone:

                  +49 (30) 86880 134

                  Fax:

                  +49 (30) 86880 100

                  Skype:

                  bernhard.glomm.ecologic

          Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH | Pfalzburger Str. 43/44 | 10717 Berlin | Germany

          GF: R. Andreas Kraemer | AG: Charlottenburg HRB 57947 | USt/VAT-IdNr.: DE811963464

          Ecologic™ is a Trade Mark (TM) of Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH