[Gluster-users] Shuffling data to modify brick FS

Ellison, Bob bob.ellison at ccur.com
Tue Feb 25 14:35:49 UTC 2014

Has there been an answer to this?

I just found out that on our production server one of my 10 raid6 bricks were incorrectly initialized as a raid5. So I am in the same boat as Andrew. I need to relocate the data on that brick, remove the brick from gluster, re-raid, format xfs, add the brick back to gluster and rebalance.

 On my lab system, I tried a "gluster remove-brick  <volume> <raid5-brick> start", waited for the operation "status" to say "completed", and then "committed" to remove the brick configuration from gluster. To my surprise I found about half (wag) my data files were still on the <raid5-brick> and NOT in the glusterfs volume. So apparently the remove-brick operation only migrated a portion of files which resided on the brick being removed. Also, my lab system consists of only 3 bricks with each brick being only about 10% full at the start of the test.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.
Bob