[Gluster-users] What does this T bit mean?

Danny Sauer danny at dannysauer.com
Wed Feb 12 16:43:55 UTC 2014

That's the sticky bit set on a file which does not have world execute. The ls command capitalizes the sticky or setid bit when the execute bit underneath is not set, and shows it in lowercase when the execute bit is set. That way all 12 bits can still be shown in only 9 characters. You can remember which case is which by remembering that the capital letter shows up when it's probably an error (execute should generally be set). :)

--Danny