[Gluster-users] Testing replication and HA

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 01:14:14 UTC 2014

It's been a while since I did some gluster replication testing, so I
spun up a quick cluster *cough, plug* using puppet-gluster+vagrant (of
course) and here are my results.

* Setup is a 2x2 distributed-replicated cluster
* Hosts are named: annex{1..4}
* Volume name is 'puppet'
* Client vm's mount (fuse) the volume.

* On the client:

# cd /mnt/gluster/puppet/
# dd if=/dev/urandom of=random.51200 count=51200
# sha1sum random.51200
# rsync -v --bwlimit=10 --progress random.51200 root at localhost:/tmp

* This gives me about an hour to mess with the bricks...
* By looking on the hosts directly, I see that the random.51200 file is
on annex3 and annex4...

* On annex3:
# poweroff
[host shuts down...]

* On client1:
# time ls
random.51200

real    0m42.705s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.002s

[hangs for about 42 seconds, and then returns successfully...]

* I then powerup annex3, and then pull the plug on annex4. The same sort
of thing happens... It hangs for 42 seconds, but then everything works
as normal. This is of course the cluster timeout value and the answer to
life the universe and everything.

Question: Why doesn't glusterfs automatically flip over to using the
other available host right away? If you agree, I'll report this as a
bug. If there's a way to do this, let me know.

Apart from the delay, glad that this is of course still HA ;)

Cheers,
James
@purpleidea (twitter/irc)
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/