[Gluster-users] Understanding Gluster Replication/Distribute

Scott Dungan scott at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 7 00:11:21 UTC 2014

I am new to Gluster and I am having a hard time grasping how Gluster
functions in distribute mode vs. distribute+replication. I am planning
on having 5 servers, with each server hosting a raid6-backed 36TB brick.
For simplicity, lets just pretend this is a 40TB brick. Here are my
questions:

1. If I do a distribute configuration only, usable capacity of the
Gluster volume will be 5x40TB or 200TB?

2. In this configuration, what would clients see if one of the servers
were to fail?

3. When the server comes back up, what steps would need to be taken to
make the Gluster volume consistent again?

4. if I do a distributed replicated (2) volume, will my usable capacity
become 160TB or 100TB, or perhaps something else entirely?

5. In this configuration, one server may be removed for maintenance and
the file system stays consistent?

Thanks for your time.

Scott Dungan