[Gluster-users] Gluster not recognizing available space

Brian Foster bfoster at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 18:57:17 UTC 2014

On 02/06/2014 11:25 AM, Pat Haley wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> gluster-0-1 did not recognize the delaylog option,
> but when I mounted the disk with nobarrier,inode64
> I was able to write to the disk both directly
> and from a client through gluster.
>
> Assuming inode64 was the key, was the problem
> that XFS could not address the inodes withour
> 64 bit representation?  Just curious.
>
> Problem solved!  Thanks!

Oh, ok. That's good to hear. inode64 tends to slip my mind because it's
fairly standard at this point. It's enabled by default on more recent
kernels.

Effectively, the problem is as you describe. Without inode64 support,
inodes are restricted to the first 1TB of fs space. With inode64
enabled, the fs can allocate new inode chunks throughout the disk, so
long as there is enough contiguous space. See the following:

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_is_the_inode64_mount_option_for.3F

FWIW, I wouldn't continue using the nobarrier option unless you know
what you're doing and you can safely run with barriers disabled (see the
same FAQ linked above for information on barrier support). It is
completely unrelated to this particular problem.

Brian