[Gluster-users] Dovecot and glusterfs

André Bauer abauer at magix.net
Tue Dec 23 09:55:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

do you have both dovecot servers active?
Im not completly sure if this will work.
Imho you should try an active / passive setup...

Regards
André

Am 21.12.2014 um 08:34 schrieb Michael Schwartzkopff:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted t test gluster a little bit for the usage in Dovecot
> Postbox Serves.
>
> I set up two servers with a replicated gluster and mounted the
> bricks via gluster client. On these two nodes I installed dovecot.
> So I created a high available test szenario.
>
> I configured dovecdot to usr maildir format and mainly copied the
> dovecot options for NFS setup:
>
> mail_fsync = always mail_nfs_storage = yes mail_nfs_index = yes
> mmap_disable = yes
>
> Basically that tells dovecot to use fcntl() locks.
>
> With the thunderbird IMAP client I accessed te two postboxes on
> the two node. One client the first dovecot node, the other client
> the second node. Both used the same user, so did access the same
> maildir files.
>
> First everything looked good, but within ten minutes of creating,
> moving and deleting mails and folders I produced the following
> log:
>
> node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Error: Corrupted
> transaction log file /srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index.log
> seq 3: file_seq=3, min_file_offset (4768) > max_file_offset (3392)
> (sync_offset=3392)
>
> node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Error: Index
> /srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index: Lost log for seq=3
> offset=2948
>
> node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Warning: fscking index
> file /srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index
>
> The mailbox was not accessible any more and dovecot did not accept
> any new mails for the user.
>
> Any ideas what went wrong? I this a legitimate use case for
> gluster? Could I prevent this from happening if I restrict oew
> user access only o one gluster node?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Michael Schwartzkopff

- --
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

André Bauer

MAGIX Software GmbH
André Bauer
Administrator
Postfach 200914
01194 Dresden

Tel. Support Deutschland: 0900/1771115 (1,24 Euro/Min.)
Tel. Support Österreich:  0900/454571 (1,56 Euro/Min.)
Tel. Support Schweiz:     0900/454571 (1,50 CHF/Min.)

Email: mailto:abauer at magix.net
Web:   http://www.magix.com

Geschäftsführer | Managing Directors: Dr. Arnd Schröder, Michael Keith
Amtsgericht | Commercial Register: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 127205

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee named
above. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

MAGIX does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or
other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from
infected email transmissions. Please note that any views expressed in
this email may be those of the originator and do not necessarily
represent the agenda of the company.