[Gluster-users] Dovecot and glusterfs

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Sun Dec 21 07:34:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I wanted t test gluster a little bit for the usage in Dovecot Postbox Serves.

I set up two servers with a replicated gluster and mounted the bricks via
gluster client. On these two nodes I installed dovecot. So I created a high
available test szenario.

I configured dovecdot to usr maildir format and mainly copied the dovecot
options for NFS setup:

mail_fsync = always
mail_nfs_storage = yes
mail_nfs_index = yes
mmap_disable = yes

Basically that tells dovecot to use fcntl() locks.

With the thunderbird IMAP client I accessed te two postboxes on the two node.
One client the first dovecot node, the other client the second node. Both used
the same user, so did access the same maildir files.

First everything looked good, but within ten minutes of creating, moving and
deleting mails and folders I produced the following log:

node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Error: Corrupted transaction log file
/srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index.log seq 3: file_seq=3, min_file_offset
(4768) > max_file_offset (3392) (sync_offset=3392)

node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Error: Index
/srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index: Lost log for seq=3 offset=2948

node2 dovecot: imap(user1 at example.net): Warning: fscking index file
/srv/mail/user1 at example.net/dovecot.index

The mailbox was not accessible any more and dovecot did not accept any new
mails for the user.

Any ideas what went wrong?
I this a legitimate use case for gluster?
Could I prevent this from happening if I restrict oew user access only o one
gluster node?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--