[Gluster-users] glusterfs performance tuning

André Bauer abauer at magix.net
Thu Dec 18 14:03:28 UTC 2014

Hi Bernhard,

i have nearly the same setup:
- Ubuntu 14.04.
- 4 nodes (relplicate distributed)
- bricks are on lvm on a mdadm raid 10

used bonding (802.3ad/bond-mode 4) before but did not see real benefit
in speed for vms. depending on what you do 1 gb might be already enough.
nevertheless we bought 10 ge hardware now

For the vms i recommend to use libgfapi which will have better
performance and the load of your gluster nodes will go down:

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Libgfapi_with_qemu_libvirt

I also used these hints:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Virt-store-usecase#Tunables

Whats also important:
http://joejulian.name/blog/keeping-your-vms-from-going-read-only-when-encountering-a-ping-timeout-in-glusterfs/

Regards
André

Am 18.12.2014 um 12:39 schrieb Bernhard Glomm:
> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some performance tuning suggestions for glusterfs.
>
> The set is:
> - 2 server with several bricks each (ubuntu 14.04),
> - each brick is part of a 2way-mirror between them both
> - both server are connected with 2 * 1GB NIC
> - the servers also mount the gluster volumes (fuse)
> - each gluster volume hosts mainly a single large file (10-20GB) (VM-Image),
>   sometimes two or three of them
>
> My qustions:
> - Which bond mode would you recommend for this set up?
> - what are performance parameters/values for "few large files per gluster volume"
> - are there some performance parameters regarding the use as vm.image storage
>    (the vms do some caching by themself?)
>
> TIA
>
> Bernhard

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

André Bauer

MAGIX Software GmbH
André Bauer
Administrator
Postfach 200914
01194 Dresden

Tel. Support Deutschland: 0900/1771115 (1,24 Euro/Min.)
Tel. Support Österreich:  0900/454571 (1,56 Euro/Min.)
Tel. Support Schweiz:     0900/454571 (1,50 CHF/Min.)

Email: mailto:abauer at magix.net
Web:   http://www.magix.com

Geschäftsführer | Managing Directors: Dr. Arnd Schröder, Michael Keith
Amtsgericht | Commercial Register: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 127205

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee named
above. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

MAGIX does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or
other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from
infected email transmissions. Please note that any views expressed in
this email may be those of the originator and do not necessarily
represent the agenda of the company.