[Gluster-users] Stripe Volume- File Location Decision

Kiebzak, Jason M. jk3149 at cumc.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:21:01 UTC 2014

Could geodns be leveraged?

-----Original Message-----
From: gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org [mailto:gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org] On Behalf Of Christian Völker
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 12:18 PM
To: gluster-users at gluster.org
Subject: [Gluster-users] Stripe Volume- File Location Decision

Hi all,

as it looks like as distributed volume on a cluster with a slow line slows down all writes I have to look for a different approach.

Let's say we create a striped volume within a cluster of two hosts. The hosts are located on two different sites (connected with a slow 10Mbit line).

I am aware in case one node fails the files stored on this host are not accessible as long as the host is down.

What I am insterested in is how a file is placed in case of a write. I will have clients on two IP subnets accessing the two hosts (which are each in the same subnet).

A client in subnet A is connected to host A and creates a file- is this placed on host A or might it happen it is stored on host B 8which means is goes through the 10Mb line)?

Thanks for ideas.

Christian