[Gluster-users] Removing orphaned hard links under .glusterfs

Branden Timm btimm at energy.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 21 17:05:11 UTC 2014

We have a distributed volume, and had a rather large (> 50TB) folder that was no longer needed.  Naively, we removed the folder from the brick instead of through the Gluster client.

You can probably see where this is going.  We didn’t actually reclaim the space because of the hard links to .glusterfs, and now we need to figure out how to clean up.

Is it sufficient to simply check whether a file under .glusterfs has less than 2 hard links, something like:

find .glusterfs -type f -links -2 -exec rm {} \;

Or do we have to do something else?  Any help is much appreciated.

—Branden