[Gluster-users] How to see gluster in a picture

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 10:44:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:36:20PM -0300, Juan José Pavlik Salles wrote:
> Hi guys, yesterday I was trying to get a mental picture of my gluster
> volumes and I came to realize it was getting complicated, or I was
> too lazy who knows. I googled a bit and couldn't find any good way to
> achieve it so I started coding. After a few coffees I did this
> http://viviendolared.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/gluster-graficando-mi-gluster-i.html
> (sorry,
> spanish is my mother tongue), basically it's a Java program that builds a
> dot file from your gluster configuration so you can plot it and get a
> pretty good-enough image of your cluster. So far I've only tested it with
> Distribute and Distributed-Replicated volumes, if anyone wants to share its
> "gluster vol info" output I can plot the output for you and debug the
> program a bit more. I plan to release the code soon, but as I am not a
> developer perse I've got no idea how or where to do that. Hope you like it,
> and please give me all the feedback you want.

Nice! Utilities like this really help in understanding how volumes are
distributed over the different storage servers.

There is a Python tool for displaying the volumes and bricks on the
Gluster Forge too:
- https://forge.gluster.org/lsgvt

I guess your tool would be a welcome addition to the projects on the
Gluster Forge:
- https://forge.gluster.org/projects

Thanks,
Niels