[Gluster-users] Slow Performance by Copy Files

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:43:00 UTC 2014

Actually there are tons of possible tune ups, but let's start from the
beginning.

Gluster documents, Red Hat documents, and several other sources suggest
using XFS, and NOT ext4.

Second, How did you measure performance ? What tool ?

>From my personal experience, first of all, measure performance of you
hardware, before measuring Gluster's.

I found out a major problem with my disk layout. I was naive enough believe
that by using a good RAID controller (PERC 6) with fair disks (SAS 7.2 KRPM
3 Gbits) on RAID5 I would be in the safe side. It was a disaster. It never
passed 40 MBytes/s.

Changing that to RAID10 made it 10 times faster, at the price of half of
the storage space.

Test your hardware.

Start with simple stuff like

dd if=/dev/zero of=filename_on_your_local_disks bs=512k count=10000

check what the result is, and if your hardware is responding as expected.

Only then move to other areas.

Cheers,

Carlos