[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] OS X porting merged

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Mon Apr 28 10:03:28 UTC 2014

I should add to all of this, currently we are doing:

* On MacOSX workstations, we have a small shell script that initiates
SMB mounts of our Gluster setup, so that artists can mount up into the
correct absolute path (no, not /Volumes with a capital V, thank you
Apple).  Artists need to run this once per logon on workstations.
Painful, but less painful than Finder NFS dramas.

* On MacOSX render nodes, we're using NFS3 currently, mounted via
autofs. It appears that most apps (the good ones at least - i.e.:
anything not Adobe, which is a whole other rant) are OK with CLI batch
processing and read/write operations to GlusterFS that way.  The
difference appears to be whatever framework the developers use - most
of our developers use the BSD subsystem of OSX which works to NFS.
Ones that use the Carbon/Cocoa/Finder framework break.

* All Linux workstations and render nodes (all Kubuntu 12.04LTS) use
FUSE+GlusterFS mounted via autofs, because it works better.
Exceptions are legacy "black box" vendor machines like Autodesk Flame
(RHEL5.3 base with a custom kernel and no supported way to add new
stuff) that don't offer FUSE natively, so they're stuck on NFS.  Add
Auodesk to the vendor rant list directly behind Adobe and Apple.
Protip: don't start a software company that begins with the letter A.
It's bad mojo.

* Windows - we dumped it at the end of last year.  Useless for us for
so many reasons.  (Microsoft are the exception that proves the "A*"
rule).

The goal is to give this recent MacOSX porting effort a good solid
bash, and get it into production if it appears relatively stable.
Because testing code in production is how we roll. :)

-Dan

Dan Mons
Unbreaker of broken things
Cutting Edge