[Gluster-users] linux flash filesystems and GlusterFS

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 12:16:11 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 03:40 AM, Apostolos Manolitzas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just discovered the GlusterFS while looking for a solution for high
> availability on our NAND flashes. We use ubifs
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_file_system#Linux_flash_filesystems> and
> jffs2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_file_system#Linux_flash_filesystems>
> for filesystem and we would like to apply some high availability strategy to a
> part of the flash. So has anyone tested GlusterFS with this setup? Is it a
> viable solution or should we move to an upper layer solution?
>
> thanks for any opinion,
>
> -Apostolos

I always start by asking what type of flash are you using - if you are using
PCI-e flash devices or S-ATA/SAS flash, there is no real reason to use UBIFS or
JFFS2 since the parts do wear levelling and so on internally.

For example, Google uses ext4 as their default file system for Android phones
and tablets.

I don't know of anyone running gluster on raw flash backed file systems (i.e.,
embedded systems) but that might be fun to try :)

Ric