[Gluster-users] On the ways to detach a brick gracefully from a glusterfs volume while rebooting a node

Anirban Ghoshal chalcogen_eg_oxygen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 17:45:08 UTC 2013

Hello,
We are using
GlusterFS 3.4.0 and we have a replicated volume with one brick each on two
real-time servers. For certain maintenance purposes, it may be desirable to
periodically reboot them. During said reboots, we wish to umount the brick
residing on it. However, umount fails (as expected),
because of the GlusterFS threads that are using it. We thought of the following
ways to counter this:

a) Stop
the volume, thereby causing its GlusterFS threads to terminate. However, this
will mean that the other server would not be able to access the volume, which
will be a problem.

b) Kill the
glusterFS threads on the volume, thereby allowing umount to proceed. However, I
am given to understand that this method is not very graceful, and may lead to
data loss in case some local modifications have not synced onto the other
server.

c) Delete the brick from
the volume, remove its "trusted.glusterfs.volume-id", and then re-add it once
the server comes back up.

Could you  help me with some advice on what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks in
advance for answering this!