[Gluster-users] Rebalance question

Fred van Zwieten fvzwieten at vxcompany.com
Mon Sep 2 09:33:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a question. I am on RHS 2.0 Update 4 (will soon go to 2.1 when it's
out) and I have a distributed volume (across 7 nodes) where a fair amount
of directory moves take place (or directory renames). AFAIK this will most
likely give new hash values and so all data needs to be moved around the
pool. Gluster does not do this immediately, but instead creates a link from
the new location to the old location.

Questions:
1. Is there a gluster command to investigate the amount of these links (How
"dirty" is my volume)
2. What command to I use to fix this. I think a "simple" rebalance would do
it.

I would like to create a cron job that checks the amount of links and, if
above a certain level, it will do a rebalance. Alternatively I could do a
fixed periodic rebalance. And I have as yet no idea on what level (what
amount of found links) a rebalance is necessary.

Any thoughts, hints, etc?

Fred

Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn’t believing. It’s where belief
stops, because it isn’t needed any more.. (Terry Pratchett)