[Gluster-users] metadata for stat : Should it be identical?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:51:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Anand Avati <avati at gluster.org> wrote:
> In normal operations they will differ as much as the time drift between the
> servers + lag in delivery/issue of write() calls on the servers. This delta
> is "fixed up" by consistently returning the highest of the two mtimes
> whenever queried.

But lets says we have replica == 2.
On server A this mtime is 4:45
On server B this mtime is 4:46
So fuse queries the times, and it returns the max, which is 4:46.
All is good.
Suppose now that server B is down, and the query is run again.
It should now return 4:45, although this means that file has changed mtime.
This could break client operations, which may care about a change in mtime.

Note that I don't expect differences of 1 minute, but I just chose
arbitrary values to make understanding the example easier.

So isn't this a bug?

Cheers,
James