[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.4 Fuse client Performace

Jung Young Seok jung.youngseok at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 09:01:28 UTC 2013

Dear GlusterFS Engineer,

I have questions that my glusterfs server and fuse client
perform properly on below specification.

It can write only *65MB*/s through FUSE client to 1 glusterfs server (1
brick and no replica for 1 volume )
 - NW bandwidth are enough for now. I've check it with iftop
 - However it can write *120MB*/s when I mount nfs on the same volume.

Could anyone check if the glusterfs and fuse client perform properly?

Detail explanations are below.
I've set 4 glusterfs servers and 1 fuse client.
Each spec is as followings.

*Server x 4*
 - CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz (2 cpu * 4 core)
 - Memory : 32GB
 - HDD (3TB 7.2K RPM SATA x 14 )
   * RAID6(33T)
   * XFS
 - OS : RHS 2.1
 - 4 Gluster Server will be used 2 replica x 2 distributed as 1 volume
 - NW 1G for replica
 - NW 1G for Storage and management
 - Current active profile: rhs-high-throughput

*FUSE Client (gluster 3.4)*
 - CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 0 @ 2.50GHz
 - Memory : 32GB
 - OS : CentOS6.4
 - NW 2G for Storage (NIC bonding)

All server will be in 10G network. (for now 1G network)

I've tested to check primitive disk performance.
 - on first glusterfs server
  * it can write 870MB/s (dd if=/dev/zero of=./dummy bs=4096 count=10000)
  * it can read 1GB/s   (cat test_file.23 > /dev/null )
 - on fuse client  (mount volume : 1 brick(1dist, no-replica)
  * it can write 64.8MB/s
 - on nfs client (mount volume : 1 brick(1dist, no-replica)
  * it can write 120MB/s (it reached NW bandwith

I wonder why fuse client much slower than nfs client. (it's no-replica peer)
Is it normal performance?

Thanks in advance
Youngseok Jung