[Gluster-users] Gluster Design Validation

James LeRoy (GetSurreal.com) james at getsurreal.com
Mon Oct 21 18:37:04 UTC 2013

My goal is to setup highly available Samba and NFS shares.  I'm planning to setup gluster replication between two servers and re-export the glusterfs as NFS and Samba.    I will have clustering configured with a shared IP address between the two servers.  Clients will connect to the resources via the clustered IP address.  Since I'm new to gluster and didn't see any examples like this, I first wanted to make sure this configuration makes sense.

Secondly, the physical servers will have a RAID 1 for the OS and RAID 5 for the Gluster data.  I was looking to offload the EXT4 journal from the RAID 5 filesystem to a partition on the RAID 1 disk to increase the RAID 5 performance.  Is there a similar configuration in gluster to offload any write overhead on the RAID 5 disks?

Thanks.