[Gluster-users] A "Wizard" for Initial Gluster Configuration

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Thu Oct 10 21:43:32 UTC 2013

If you used the gui to build json hiera data, that would be simple and
effective.

James just needs to document defining peers and volumes in hiera.

On 10/10/2013 2:18 PM, James wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Paul Cuzner <pcuzner at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> You make some good points ;o)
> Thank you!
>
>> At this stage, my plan is to add "create volume" functionality to complete the initial setup tasks and then look at next steps.
> Sounds good.
>
>> Looking at adopting puppet sounds like an interesting direction.
> One use case I have in mind is giving users the tools (eg: sysadmins,
> new/potential RedHat customers, etc...) to quickly and easily deploy a
> gluster environment for initial testing. I know JMW had requested this
> at some point.
>
> I don't have plans for a GUI, but I think it would be cool if your GUI
> wrapped my puppet code. That would save you maintaining the gluster
> logic separately, and you'd gain my configuration management features.
>
> If you want help hacking on this, let me know. I have some not yet
> published patches that should help.
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paul C
>>
> Cheers,
> James

>>> 2) ability to change the configuration after initial setup.
>>> 3) ability to define the entire configuration up front.
>>> 4) no need to exchange ssh keys.