[Gluster-users] Gluster KVM scripts

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 23:28:03 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 17:29 -0500, Jay Vyas wrote:
> hi james, moving this to public.
Moved to gluster-users then.

>   The subject was how to start using jame's
> puppet modules with the vagrant/gluster examples that we are working on.
I can't help you with anything vagrant related until it properly
supports libvirt/kvm.

I think it's actually a F20 goal:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Vagrant

> So here are some bullets to move things forward.
>
> - Here are the functions for creating the gluster setup :
> https://forge.gluster.org/vagrant/fedora19-gluster/blobs/master/gluster-hbase-example/setup.sh

You know that your _private_ key is visible in that file, right?

> We
> basically create a fake disk using truncate, assign it as a brick for
> the gluster volume, and then mount.  From there , we point hbase to that
> mount point and thats all there is.

> - lets disregard the hbase part for now,
Agreed.

>  and maybe you could create a
> "vagrant+puppet+gluster" starter project that uses some of the logic from
See above about vagrant. Maybe after F20 is released.

> this?  From there maybe we could work together to hack in the
> hbase/hadoop/whatever bits to make a puppetized version of these bash
> files.
>
> The advantage in my eyes of moving to your puppet:
>
> 1) mister james maintains the gluster bits :) :) :)
This I'm happy to do.

> 2) Less implementation details, more logic on how we integrate gluster with
> bigdata tools
I'm happy to work on this type of thing, but this sounds more like a
consulting or needs donations project. I only have 2 vm's to test
puppet/gluster on. bigdata probably implies > 20GiB :P

> 3) the gluster community gets a cool example for learning how to use puppet
> and gluster together in a completely reproducible, zero startup
> environment.

Have you looked at gluster::simple ?
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/blob/master/examples/gluster-simple-example.pp

AFAICT, that's all you need. My understanding is that you're just trying
to build a simple throw away cluster... Let me know if I misunderstood.
If you want to customize your volume further, you can use it like this:

class { '::gluster::simple':
	#path => '',	# defaults to $vardir/data/
	# NOTE: this can be a list...
	volume => ['hbase', 'foobar'],
	replica => 1,
}

HTH! For now, I'll think about adding a screencast and better docs.

James