[Gluster-users] changing volume from Distributed-Replicate to Distributed

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:10:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Paul Simpson <paul at realisestudio.com> wrote:
> that is what i'm planning to test. i guess my underlying question is - will
> gluster automatically "know" that a volume of replica count 2 is not
> replicated any more? and if so, how will it react to the fact that the
> replicated bricks are now missing? ie, should i / or is there a way of
> changing the replica count of a volume first? would that automatically
> remove the bricks for you?

I hope I explain this clearly. Others feel free to correct.
Based on the replica number you choose, and the ordered list of bricks
you give to gluster, it figures out what distribute and replicate to
do. You have to be clever to pick the right order and replica numbers
to suit your needs. Generally if you pick something that is wrong
(won't work) or doesn't make a lot of sense (replica on same host)
gluster will either not let you do that, or complain, respectively.

You should do some tests with vm's to get familiar with the add/remove
brick process.

HTH,
James