[Gluster-users] Gluster quotas, NFS quotas, brick quotas, quota-tools

Varun Shastry vshastry at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 12:30:22 UTC 2013

Hi Leonardo,

Currently we don't have any method to import any back-end FS's quotas
into gluster.

On Saturday 02 March 2013 03:26 AM, Leonardo Boiko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to try to migrate our NFS-based network to gluster, for replication.
>
> We currently use an ext4 filesystem with quota enabled.  We have a
> couple thousand users (over LDAP), and their quotas vary wildly.  We
> manage them with edquota(8) on the NFS server.  There are many
> services which mount the NFS filesystem, and parse the output of
> /usr/bin/quota (a webmail, two mail servers, various webpages, etc.)
>
> I read the chapter on quotas in the admin guide, but I kind of don't
> understand yet how does Gluster directory quota relate to the usual
> quota stuff. Questions:
>
>   - Is there any way to make Gluster use the ext4 disk quotas, or at
> least import them?
No, its not possible (at least) as of now. By the way using ext4
back-end and creating gluster volumes on existing data node is not
***recommended**. *
> - I don't think edquota will work anymore?
Gluster quota doesn't impair back-end FS quota behaviour, but gluster
knows nothing about that, so you can't have a volume wide quota
implementation.
> - If I mount a gluster filesystem with type=glusterfs, will
> /usr/bin/quota be able to read quotas from it?
No, only way to manage gluster quota is from glusterd (gluster
management daemon) commands.
>   - If not, can I otherwise read my quotas from the client?
>
>   - If I mount a gluster filesystem using NFS, can the client read
> quotas with /usr/bin/quota as usual?
No.
Varun