[Gluster-users] GlusterFS performance

harry mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Tue Mar 5 15:43:46 UTC 2013

This kind of info is surprisingly hard to obtain.  The gluster docs do contain
some of it, ie:

<http://community.gluster.org/a/linux-kernel-tuning-for-glusterfs/>

I also found well-described kernel tuning parameters in the FHGFS wiki (as
another distibuted fs, they share some characteristics)

http://www.fhgfs.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=StorageServerTuning

and more XFS tuning filesystem params here:

<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Further_Information>

and here:
<http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2011/12/16/setting-up-xfs-the-simple-
edition>

But of course, YMMV and a number of these parameters conflict and/or have
serious tradeoffs, as you discovered.

LSI recently loaned me a Nytro SAS controller (on-card SSD-cached) which seems
pretty phenomenal on a single brick (and is predicted to perform well based on
their profiling), but am waiting for another node to arrive before I can test
it under true gluster conditions.  Anyone else tried this hardware?

hjm