[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

sal poliandro popsikle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 01:03:11 UTC 2013

Most of the 40gb stuff is designed for mostly East/West traffic as that
tends to be the majority of traffic in the datacenter these days. All the
big guys make platforms that can keep full port to port across the platform
between 4-7.

40gb has not fallen that far where it is not still a decent size investment
to do right and as someone who keeps trying to fit gluster into production
I have found that other storage platforms always beat out gluster in top
end hardware. When 40gb is more high end and the 100gb starts to take
marketshare gluster may work in some enviornments but when running top of
the line network and server gear the TCO of a commerical storage product
(and the support that comes with it) always wins, at least for me.

On a side not the native linux drivers have not really kept up with the
40gb cards. Linux still has issues with some 10gb cards. If you are going
40gb talk to the people that license the dna driver.  They are in paramus
nj and do a lot of higer end networks with proper Linux drivers. The media
(dac cables or om4 mtp) dont seem to affect performance much as long as you
dont push the dac longer than 3-5 meeters.

Salvatore "Popsikle" Poliandro

Sent from my mobile, please excuse any typos. One day we will have mobile
devices where we don't need this footer :)