[Gluster-users] 40 gig ethernet

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sun Jun 16 20:00:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Bryan Whitehead <driver at megahappy.net>wrote:

> I'm using 40G Infiniband with IPoIB for gluster. Here are some ping
> times (from host 172.16.1.10):
>
> --- 172.16.1.11 ping statistics ---
> 10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 8999ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.093/0.142/0.198/0.035 ms

Interesting, you have a lower min and slightly lower avg, but your max is
actually higher then I am seeing on my 10 gig setup, since Gluster FS uses
a lot of small packets, it does not look like it is worth upgrading from 10
to 40 gig ethernet...

--- virt1.exarionetworks.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 8999ms

Also note, that I am running 10GBase-T, if I was running over fiber, I
would think my overall numbers would be lower then your 40 gig Infiniband,
how can that be?

--
><>
Nathan Stratton                                               Founder, CTO
Exario Networks, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                                     nathan at
exarionetworks.com
http://www.robotics.net
http://www.exarionetworks.com/

Building the WebRTC solutions today that your customers will demand
tomorrow.