[Gluster-users] NFS client blocking reboot

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Sun Jul 28 15:58:43 UTC 2013

On 28 Jul 2013, at 17:31, Anand Avati <anand.avati at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mounting NFS export from localhost is a recipe for disaster for many other reasons (including deadlocks under heavy IO).

Docs? I'm only doing it because it's the only workable solution I've found for gluster at all.
Gluster native client performance is too bad, and pointing it non-local servers implies anti-redundancy (someone else mentioned the same problem for the same reason on here just recently) and is worse than not using gluster at all.
If you have a better solution, I'm all ears.

>  it stops gluster before unmounting volumes. This causes the NFS client to hang waiting for a response from the gluster server (which will never happen because it's stopped), blocking the reboot, leaving the server hanging indefinitely. The only way out seems to be to power-cycle the server.
>
> How is this supposed to work? Is there some way of scheduling unmounts before killing gluster?
>
>  Not sure about this - should the init.d shutdown script be de-prioritized for your runlevel? But then, we are talking about a use case which is highly non-recommended.

I've not experimented with init scripts yet, but  I think the unmounts are done by /etc/init.d/umountfs.

Marcus