[Gluster-users] NFS client blocking reboot

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 15:31:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Marcus Bointon
<marcus at synchromedia.co.uk>wrote:

> This is a silly chicken-and-egg problem. I've found when I issue a reboot
> on a server that's mounted its own gluster volume via NFS (with the 'hard'
> option set),

Mounting NFS export from localhost is a recipe for disaster for many other
reasons (including deadlocks under heavy IO).

> it stops gluster before unmounting volumes. This causes the NFS client to
> hang waiting for a response from the gluster server (which will never
> happen because it's stopped), blocking the reboot, leaving the server
> hanging indefinitely. The only way out seems to be to power-cycle the
> server.
>
> How is this supposed to work? Is there some way of scheduling unmounts
> before killing gluster?

 Not sure about this - should the init.d shutdown script be de-prioritized
for your runlevel? But then, we are talking about a use case which is
highly non-recommended.

Avati