[Gluster-users] KVM guest I/O errors with xfs backed gluster volumes

Jacob Yundt jyundt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 01:16:18 UTC 2013

>> Are you creating the qcow2 file with qemu-img first? example:
>> qemu-img create -f qcow2 /var/lib/libvirt/images/xfs/kvm2.img 200G
>
> No, I'm creating the storage from virt-manager.  Host Details -> add a
> VirtIO disk etc.  I'll try to pre-create with qemu-img shortly.

I'm able to create the file with qemu-img, however, when I try to add
the disk (via virt-manager) I get the following error:

    Are you sure you want to add this device?

    This device could not be attached to the running machine. Would
you like to make the device available after the next guest shutdown?

    internal error unable to execute QEMU command
'__com.redhat_drive_add': Device 'drive-virtio-disk1' could not be
initialized

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/addhardware.py", line
1168, in add_device
        self.vm.attach_device(self._dev)
      File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 841,
in attach_device
        self._backend.attachDevice(devxml)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 419, in
attachDevice
        if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainAttachDevice()
failed', dom=self)
    libvirtError: internal error unable to execute QEMU command
'__com.redhat_drive_add': Device 'drive-virtio-disk1' could not be
initialized

I've also attached a screenshot.  It looks like I'm getting similar
errors though with this method:

    [2013-07-17 01:08:06.734569] E [posix.c:1940:posix_readv]
0-xfs-posix: read failed on fd=0x1bf52fc: Invalid argument

> Thanks for sending this.  The one thing I noticed is that you have
> your gluster filesystem pre-mounted and the pool defined as a
> "directory".  I've been defining my storage pool as a gluster (netfs)
> filesystem.  Similar to using qemu-img, I'll try this as well.

No dice with this either, I get the same error whether I define the
storage pool as a netfs or a filesystem directory (after I've already
mounted the gluster filesystem.)

-Jacob