[Gluster-users] problem expanding a volume

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 05:22:06 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 07:16 AM, Joshua Hawn wrote:
> I've had this issue recently. The error occurred because I tried adding
> a brick that was previously part of another volume. If this is the case
> for you, then this article may be
> helpful: http://joejulian.name/blog/glusterfs-path-or-a-prefix-of-it-is-already-part-of-a-volume/
>
> You'll need to install the 'attr' package to remove the attributes of
> the brick directory that specify that it already belongs to another volume.

If the brick is on a separate file-system, reformatting it, forcefully
if required. is the easiest way to remove all traces of earlier volume.

If you want to view what attributes have been set on the brick (probably
so as to remove some of them with the 'setfattr -x' command), you may
run the command

getfattr -d -m . <path to brick>

- rejy (rmc)