[Gluster-users] NFS availability

harry mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Thu Jan 31 04:44:52 UTC 2013

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:28:04 AM glusterzhxue wrote:
> Hi all,
> As is known to us all, gluster provides NFS mount. However, if the mount
> point fails, clients will lose connection to Gluster. While if we use
> gluster native client, this fail will have no effect on clients. For
> example:
 mount -t glusterfs host1:/vol1  /mnt

> If host1 goes down for some reason, client works still, it has no sense
> about the failure(suppose we have multiple gluster servers).

The client will still fail (in most cases) since host1 (if I follow you) is
part of the gluster groupset. Certainly if it's a distributed-only, maybe not
if it's a dist/repl gluster.  But if host1 goes down, the client will not be
able to find a gluster vol to mount.

> However, if
> we use the following:
 mount -t nfs -o vers=3   host1:/vol1 /mnt

> If host1 failed, client will lose connection to gluster servers.

If the client was mounting the glusterfs via a re-export from an intermediate
host, you might be able to failover to another intermediate NFS server, but if
it was a gluster host, it would fail due to the reasons above.

> Now, we want to use NFS way. Could anyone give us some suggestion to solve
> the issue?

Multiple intermediate NFS servers with round-robin addressing?
Anyone tried this?

> Thanks
>
> Zhenghua

---
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
MSTB Lat/Long: (33.642025,-117.844414) (paste into Google Maps)
---
"Something must be done. [X] is something. Therefore, we must do it."
Bruce Schneier, on American response to just about anything.