[Gluster-users] Self healing metadata info

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Fri Jan 25 10:01:42 UTC 2013

Hi Patric,

your paper shows clearly you are infected by the fs-programmer-virus :-)
Noone else would give you tags/gfids/inode nums of a file inside a logfile
instead of the full true filename, simply because looking at the logfile
days/months/years later you know exactly nothing about the files affected by
e.g. a self heal. Can you explain why a fs cannot give the user/admin the
files' name currently fiddling around in a logfile instead of a cryptic number?

For the completeness in split-brain case I would probably do a
command which prefers the files' copy on <brick> and triggers the self-heal
for that file.
As an addition you would be able to allow
	gluster volume heal <repvol> prefer <brick>
(without filename) to generally prefer files on <brick> and trigger self-heal
for all files. There are cases where admins do not care about the actual copy
but more about the accessibility of the file per se.
Everything is easy around self-heal/splitbrain if you deal with 5 files
affected. But dealing with 5000 files instead shows you that no admin is
probably able to look at every single file. So he should be able to choose
some general option like gluster volume heal <repvol> prefer <tag>
where <tag> can be:
	<brickname> (as above)
	"length", choose longest file always
	"date", choose latest file date always
	"delete", simply remove all affected files
	<name-one> ...

Regards,
Stephan