[Gluster-users] Fw: performance evaluation of distributed storage systems

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Jan 22 14:42:18 UTC 2013

>    I'm a phd student and as a part of my research I've compared
>    performance of different distributed storage systems (Gluster,
>    Openstack, Compuverde).

Compuverde? That's new to me. Oh wow.

"Software defined storage just got 400 % more efficient."

"Compuverde Gateway read and writes structured data 250 % more
efficient(sic) than well-known market competitors."

"The Compuverde software will help businesses lower their energy costs
with(sic) up to 50%"

I have not seen such a comprehensive pile of BS for a long time - thank you
for making my day.

The 400% claim?
http://compuverde.com/object-store/performance/
Vaguely-described tests against an unspecified competitor.

Finally:

"The Compuverde Object Store software features patented and patent-pending
technology"

The PHB will be impressed.

Regarding the PDF evaluation: I only skimmed it, but what exact version of
glusterfs did you use?  There have been a lot of changes between 3.2.5 and
3.3.0 for example.  Also:

"3.1.4 Gluster
The communication protocol between the load generating clients and the proxy
servers is NFS/CIFS"

So which was it? And what are "proxy servers" in the context of a Gluster
test?

Gluster supports NFS exporting natively from one brick. CIFS requires using
Samba to re-export a glusterfs mount. However I would have thought using the
native glusterfs FUSE client would be a fairer test.

Regards,

Brian.