[Gluster-users] Meta

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Sun Jan 20 17:09:37 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:42:44AM -0500, John Mark Walker wrote:

> On the other hand, do you see people recommending Fedora on the Ubuntu
> lists?

Raises the question: Where do we have meta-discussions and have it be
appropriate? This isn't religion, and shouldn't be. If someone on an Ubuntu
list is trying to do something where a RH-type OS has the advantage over a
Debian-derived one, does discussion of that have to be whispered off list?
Or is it healthy for everyone to be aware of the alternatives, whether for
their own use or as the competition? For general use, all the major distros
are great, and arguing over which is or isn't "enterprise class" only
reveals who is a fool for marketing campaigns. But for a specific use case,
there are times when a particular distro has a clear-cut advantage.

For the filesystem space that Gluster and its peers are in, arguably none
has attained true greatness yet. My current bet, in my own deployments, is
on Gluster doing well in the near term. So it's the Gluster list I'm
following closely. But news of how it compares to the others is welcome to
me and I'd guess others of us here. Short of subscribing to more lists than
we can reasonably follow what with other duties, a bit of the
meta-discussion leaking into this space can be welcome to us.

While "This rocks! That sucks!" is just ignorant noise, always, fact- and
experience-based analysis is both rare and valuable. I hope there remains
room for it here.

Best,
Whit