[Gluster-users] Data migration and rebalance

John Mark Walker johnmark at redhat.com
Sun Jan 20 16:42:44 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 04:04:43PM -0500, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> > On 01/19/2013 01:43 PM, F. Ozbek wrote:
> > >try moosefs. http://www.moosefs.org/
> > >
> > >we tried both gluster and ceph, they both failed in many ways.
> > >moosefs passed the same tests with flying colors.
> > >
> > >moose is your friend.
> >
> > Don't you think it's rather bad form to come on a mailing list for
> > one project and recommend a competitor based on FUD?
>
> To me it sounds to me like he's suggesting an alternative based on
> actual
> testing and real-world experience.  Or are you saying he has an
> undisclosed
> connection to the moosefs project?

I think we have to be careful about how we distinguish between legitimate gripes and trolling. If someone wants to recommend another solution for a particular use case, that's fine - that's just someone being helpful. If, however, somebody makes blanket statements without much in the way of evidence or facts, then it's not very helpful.

While I don't fine the moosefs recommendation to be particular helpful, I didn't find it too insulting either. On the other hand, do you see people recommending Fedora on the Ubuntu lists? I would never recommend GlusterFS on the Ceph lists, and you won't find anyone recommending Solaris/Illumos on the Linux Kernel lists. It's just bad form.

I usually let it go once without comment, but if it turns into a habit, I'll crack down.

-JM