[Gluster-users] Question regarding write performance issues

Ayelet Shemesh shemesh.ayelet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:47:37 UTC 2013

Hi to all Gluster experts,

I have a cluster of 10 machines exposing a volume into which 12 other
machines do many writes of large files (~100-300MB each).
In general I'm very happy with gluster. It's a great solution, and is quite
stable (thanks for the great work!).

However, I have a problem which I was unable to solve yet, nor find any
solution to in the documentation or on this list archive.

When the client machines write locally, and then just copy the files they
created to the gluster mount - everything works great.
When the client machines write directly to the gluster mounted volume I get
a huge performance hit.
In one specific test case the difference was 20 minutes for the copy and 8
hours for the direct write.

I tried to set the iocache attributes of write-behind-window and
flush-behind, but to no avail.

I will very much appreciate your help in solving this problem.

Thanks,
Ayelet