[Gluster-users] self-heal failed

Daniel Taylor dtaylor at vocalabs.com
Wed Jan 9 15:28:47 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 08:31 AM, Liang Ma wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Ok, if gluster can't self-heal from this situation, I hope at least I
> can manually restore the volume by using the good brick available. So
> would you please tell me how can I "simply rebuild the filesystem and
> let gluster attempt to restore it from a *clean* filesystem"?

Trimmed for space.

You could do as Tom Pfaff suggests, but given the odds of data
corruption carrying forward I'd do the following:
Shut down gluster on the damaged system.
Unmount the damaged filesystem.
Reformat the damaged filesystem as new (throwing away any potential
corruption that might not get caught on rebuild)
Mount the new filesystem at the original mount point
Restart gluster

In the event of corruption due to hardware failure you'd be doing this
on replacement hardware.
The key is you have to have a functional filesystem for gluster to work
with.

--
Daniel Taylor             VP Operations       Vocal Laboratories, Inc
dtaylor at vocalabs.com                                     612-235-5711