[Gluster-users] Meta-discussion

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:31:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 08:38 -0500, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> There's a strong trend against documentation of software, and not just in
> open source. I'm old enough to remember when anything modestly complex came
> with hundreds of pages of manuals, often over several volumes.
I agree-- You also have to agree that there are "new" advancements too:
irc, mailing lists, etc... As one of my personal preferences, I
use/write puppet code. This is useful to me as "de-facto" documentation
on how to set something up. If there's ever software that I really don't
understand, but it has a puppet module (even if it's a poorly written
one) reading it can often give me clues as to how the underlying
software works.

After a hard time learning how gluster works, I made a puppet module [1]
for exactly this reason. It's definitely a more complicated module that
does more (some sysadmins don't want it to do this much), however it
*does* show how to get a working gluster setup if you look through it,
or run it. Conversely, I hope that the real gluster experts out there
check it out and add optimisations to it. What better way to get users
trying out gluster if they have a turn key, deployment solution
available.

This wasn't meant as a plug, it is Free Software after all, but you're
free to use and share it as a means to help new users figure out gluster
in the face of missing docs. I think this is a good way to learn.

Hope this was a useful comment,
James
[1] https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster