[Gluster-users] Is having millions of directories unusual?

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 16:01:10 UTC 2013

Dear All-
I have just discovered that the volume I've been having the most trouble
with contains over 3.3 million directories.  Most of these are output
from a storm tracking model that produces output in a large number of
directories, each containing a handful of small files.  Is this number
of directories in a distributed-replicate volume unusual, and should I
expect it to cause problems for GlusterFS?  The layout fix operation
that follows the addition of new bricks takes a very long time
(weeks-months) and seems to result in a high CPU load.  The volume has a
capacity of 52TB and the bricks are 3.3TB in size.

-Dan.

--
Dan Bretherton
ESSC Computer System Manager