[Gluster-users] Gluster Issues with ISCSI backend

Tom Bean tom.bean at changingworkplace.com
Fri Feb 15 22:25:58 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have the following setup:

-       2x CentOS 6.3 servers with Gluster 3.2

-       I then have a MD3200i which has volumes mounted to both gluster
servers using iSCSI to give additional space.

-       The gluster server is then mounted as a primary SR to my Xen pool
and is used for hosting VHD's.

I am getting fantastic performance from this setup, however recently I have
started to face a few issues. Twice recently I have been created a new VM
using a template, which involves creating a new file on the gluster nfs
share. When this happens, a few of my servers in the Xen Pool loose
connection to the gluster share and are unable to read/write the heart beat
file which is stored on the share. When this happens, the Xen servers fence
(which basically means they shut themselves down, including any VM's running
on them).

Does anyone know if there is a reason why this might happen? Does Gluster
ever put a file lock on everything/anything in the directory, especially
during times of heavy write?

There is no geo-replication currently running on this setup.

Thanks for any input.

Tom Bean

Infrastructure & Support Analyst

The Changing Workplace

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

Skype:

Address:

Website:

News:

+44 (0)1444 44 1000 ext 316

+44 (0)1444 44 0944

 <mailto:tom.bean at changingworkplace.com> tom.bean at changingworkplace.com

Contact me via  <skype:thomas.bean.cwp?chat> Skype

1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1BY, United Kingdom

 <http://www.changingworkplace.com/> changingworkplace.com

Sign up for
<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=wbsdkygab&p=oi&m=110676998
7638> our newsletter

 <https://twitter.com/The_CWP> Description:
C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom
Bean_files\image001.gif <http://facebook.com/TheChangingWorkplace>
Bean_files\image002.gif
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-changing-workplace> Description:
C:\Users\tomb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\Tom
Bean_files\image003.gif

Changing the world we work in by providing best-in-class software services
to the Corporate Real Estate sector

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Important Information

This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential and/or privileged and are intended solely for the named recipient/s. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this email. You should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.

The Changing Workplace cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this e-mail as it has been transmitted over a public network and Internet communications are not secure.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where specifically stated to be the view of The Changing Workplace. All statements made in this e-mail are subject to contract. The contents are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance. The sender is not authorised to bind The Changing Workplace contractually.

The Changing Workplace cannot guarantee that attachments are virus-free or compatible with your systems and does not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.

The Changing Workplace is a limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 3614433 whose registered office is at 1 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 1BY, United Kingdom.