[Gluster-users] high CPU load on all bricks

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Sun Feb 3 19:46:32 UTC 2013

On 02/03/2013 11:22 AM, Michael Colonno wrote:

> Having taken a lot more data it does seem the glusterfsd and glusterd
> processes (along with several ksoftirqd) spike up to near 100% on both
> client and brick servers during any file transport across the mount.
> Thankfully this is short-lived for the most part but I'm wondering if
> this is expected behavior or what others have experienced(?) I'm a
> little surprised such a large CPU load would be required to move small
> files and / or use an application within a Gluster mount point.

If you're getting ksoftirqd spikes, that sounds like a hardware issue to
me. I never see huge spikes like that on my servers nor clients.

> I wanted to test this against an NFS mount of the same Gluster volume.
> I managed to get rstatd installed and running but my attempts to mount
> the volume via NFS are met with:
>
> mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported
>
> Relevant line in /etc/fstab:
>
> node1:/volume    /volume    nfs
> defaults,_netdev,vers=3,mountproto=tcp        0 0
>
> It looks like CentOS 6.x has NFS version 4 built into everything. So a
> few questions:
>
> -Has anyone else noted significant performance differences between a
> glusterfs mount and NFS mount for volumes of 8+ bricks?
>
> -Is there a straightforward way to make the newer versions of CentOS
> play nice with NFS version 3 + Gluster?
>
> -Are there any general performance tuning guidelines I can follow to
> improve CPU performance? I found a few references to the cache
> settings but nothing solid.
>
> If the consensus is that NFS will not gain anything then I won't waste
> the time setting it all up.

NFS gains you the use of FSCache to cache directories and file stats
making directory listings faster, but it adds overhead decreasing the
overall throughput (from all the reports I've seen).

I would suspect that you have the kernel nfs server running on your
servers. Make sure it's disabled.