[Gluster-users] Design/HW for cost-efficient NL archive >= 0.5PB?

Justin Dossey jbd at podomatic.com
Tue Dec 31 21:27:16 UTC 2013

Yes, RAID-6 is better than RAID-5 in most cases.  I agonized over the
decision to deploy 5 for my Gluster cluster, and the reason I went with 5
is that the number of drives in the brick was (IMO) acceptably low.  I use
6 for my 16-drive arrays, which means I have to lose 3 disks out of the 16
to lose my data.  With 2x8-drive arrays in 5, I also have to lose 3 disks
to lose data, but if I do lose data, I only lose 50% of the data on the
server, and all these bricks are distribute-replicate anyway, so I wouldn't
actually lose any data at all.  That consideration, paired with the fact
that I keep spares on hand and replace failed drives within a day or two,
means that I'm okay with running 2x RAID-5 instead of 1x RAID-6.  (2x
RAID-6 would put me below my storage target, forcing additional hardware
purchases.)

I suppose the short answer is "evaluate your storage needs carefully."

Justin Dossey
CTO, PodOmatic