[Gluster-users] Design/HW for cost-efficient NL archive >= 0.5PB?

bernhard glomm bernhard.glomm at ecologic.eu
Mon Dec 30 13:54:06 UTC 2013

some years ago I had a similar tasks.
I did:
- We had disk arrays with 24 slots, with optional 4 JBODS (each 24 slots) stacked on top, dual LWL controller 4GB (costs ;-)
- creating raids (6) with not more than 7 disks each
- as far as I remember I had one hot spare per each 4 raids
- connecting as many of this raid bricks together with striped glusterfs as needed
- as for replication, I was planing for an offside duplicate of this architecture and
because losing data was REALLY not an option, writing it all off at a second offside location onto LTFS tapes.
As the original version for the LTFS library edition was far to expensive for us
I found an alternative solution that does the same thing
but fort a much reasonable prize. LTFS is still a big thing in digital Archiving.
Give me a note if you like more details on that.

- This way I could fsck all (not to big) raids in parallel (sped things up)
- proper robustness against disk failure
- space that could grow infinite in size (add more and bigger disks) and keep up with access speed (ad more server) at a pretty foreseeable prize
- LTFS in the vault provided just the finishing having data accessible even if two out three sides are down,
reasonable prize, (for instance no heat problem at the tape location)
Nowadays I would go for the same approach except zfs raidz3 bricks (at least do a thorough test on it)
instead of (small) hardware raid bricks.
As for simplicity and robustness I wouldn't like to end up with several hundred glusterfs bricks, each on one individual disk,
but rather leaving disk failure prevention either to hardware raid or zfs and using gluster to connect this bricks into the
fs size I need(  - and for mirroring the whole thing to a second side if needed)
hth
Bernhard

	 Bernhard Glomm
IT Administration

Phone:	 +49 (30) 86880 134
Fax:	 +49 (30) 86880 100
Skype:	 bernhard.glomm.ecologic

Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH | Pfalzburger Str. 43/44 | 10717 Berlin | Germany
GF: R. Andreas Kraemer | AG: Charlottenburg HRB 57947 | USt/VAT-IdNr.: DE811963464
Ecologic™ is a Trade Mark (TM) of Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH