[Gluster-users] Gluster on ZFS performance concerns

bernhard glomm bernhard.glomm at ecologic.eu
Mon Dec 30 10:27:56 UTC 2013

Thanks a lot for sharing your results!
I'm to looking into a similar test scenario.

According to
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/GlusterOnZFS
one should apply this patch
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/1648
Did you do that? Or don't you use symlinks on your glustermounts?
From your blogs I understand you didn't, did you experienced ny issues?
I like to use this scenario as a backend fro VM images.
The glusterserver mounts the glustervolumes
and are also the hosts for the VM, sort of self describing/self providing approach.
I created an individual filesystems and along with it a separate glustervolume
for each VM. This way I can snapshot the volumes/VMs individually.
I doubt it would make any performance difference
if I would put all images in one Volume/zfs-Filesystem. ?
I ran several VMs in parallel and let them all perform bonnie++ tests
The whole setup seems quite stable so far
including life migrating of the VMs and reboot of the hosts during the tests.

TIA
Bernhard

	 Bernhard Glomm
IT Administration

Phone:	 +49 (30) 86880 134
Fax:	 +49 (30) 86880 100
Skype:	 bernhard.glomm.ecologic

Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH | Pfalzburger Str. 43/44 | 10717 Berlin | Germany
GF: R. Andreas Kraemer | AG: Charlottenburg HRB 57947 | USt/VAT-IdNr.: DE811963464
Ecologic™ is a Trade Mark (TM) of Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH