[Gluster-users] Passing noforget option to glusterfs native client mounts

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Tue Dec 24 17:34:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Anirban Ghoshal
<chalcogen_eg_oxygen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, and Thanks a lot, Anand!
>
> I was initially searching for a good answer to why the glusterfs site lists
> knfsd as NOT compatible with the glusterfs.  So, now I know. :)
>
> Funnily enough, we didn't have a problem with the failover during our
> testing. We passed constant fsid's (fsid=xxx) while exporting our mounts and
> NFS mounts on client applications haven't called any of the file handles out
> stale while migrating the NFS service from one server to the other. Not sure
> why this happpens.

Using fsid is just a workaround always used to solve ESTALE on file
handles. The device major/minor numbers are embedded in the NFS file
handle, a problem when an NFS export is failed over or moved to
another node during failover is that these numbers change when the
resource is exported on the new node resulting in client to see a
"Stale NFS file handle" error. We need to make sure the embedded
number stays the same that is where the fsid export option - allowing
us to specify a coherent number across various clients.

GlusterNFS server is way cleaner solution for such consistency.

Another thing would be to take the next step, give a go for
'NFS-Ganesha' and 'GlusterFS' integration?

https://forge.gluster.org/nfs-ganesha-and-glusterfs-integration
http://www.gluster.org/2013/09/gluster-ganesha-nfsv4-initial-impressions/

Cheers
--
Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse
regulation with outcomes