[Gluster-users] Passing noforget option to glusterfs native client mounts

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Tue Dec 24 08:28:11 UTC 2013

Hi,
Allowing noforget option to FUSE will not help for your cause. Gluster
persents the address of the inode_t as the nodeid to FUSE. In turn FUSE
creates a filehandle using this nodeid for knfsd to export to nfs client.
When knfsd fails over to another server, FUSE will decode the handle
encoded by the other NFS server and try to use the nodeid of the other
server - which will obviously not work as the virtual address of glusterfs
process on the other server is not valid here.

Short version: the file-handle generated through FUSE is not durable. The
"noforget" option in FUSE is a hack to avoid ESTALE messages because of
dcache pruning. If you have enough inode in your volume, your system will
go OOM at some point. The "noforget" is NOT a solution for providing NFS
failover to a different server.

For reasons such as these, we ended up implementing our own NFS server
where we encode a filehandle using the GFID (which is durable across
reboots and server failovers). I would strongly recommend NOT using knfsd
with any FUSE based filesystems (not just glusterfs) for a serious
production use, and it will just not work if you are designing for NFS high
availability/fail-over.

Thanks,
Avati