[Gluster-users] Quick start guide

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Tue Dec 17 21:33:51 UTC 2013

On 17.12.2013 21:22, Knut Moe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to follow the instructions from the Quick Start guide, but
> I am
> running into problems when issuing the following command:
>
> mkfs.xfs -i size=512 /dev/sdb1
>
> /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory
>
> If I create the sdb1 folder  in the /dev folder I get the following
> error
> when issuing the mkfs.xfs command
>
> mkfs.xfs: cannot open /dev/sdb1: Is a directory
>
> Any assistance would be most helpful.

Kurt,

I urge you to cover some linux basics before getting into Glusterfs.
Copying blindly without understanding what you are doing is a recipe for
disaster.
/dev/sdb1 in a linux system points to the 1st partition of the 2nd
SCSI/SATA drive. Drives are labeled sda, sdb, sdc and so on (hda, hdb,
hdc etc for old IDE drives); partitions are represented via numbers.
Check http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-list-disk-partitions-command/
http://rute.2038bug.com/node22.html.gz
and other sites..

Nux!